Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Giving Up On Perfection

I got this in a MOPS email this week & really liked it, so I wanted to share.


Giving Up On Perfection
by Kathi Lipp, mom and stepmom of 4

I may have to give up reading blogs.

Once again I've stumbled across a blog that my friend LOVES, and it's all about a perfect family who look perfect, who are making their clean eating, sugar-free snacks (from scratch) as they do EVERY DAY, living on their pseudo-farm, where not only are they all hard workers, but their kids are all gifted. And there are plenty of Instagram photos to document all this perfect-ness.

It feels like a bunch of mini-Marthas trying to out-perfect each other, and I have to say it concerns me.


"Here’s the thing:
WE are not designed to be perfect."

When all we are seeing is the perfect slice of a person's life, it can make us, the reader, a regular mom, feel like there is something wrong with us because WE aren't perfect. I live with daily evidence of my imperfection:

  • My kids talk back to me.
  • No one ever offers to do chores.
  • I’m happy if I get dinner on the table (even if part of it
    came from a box).
  • I may have (just possibly) watched a little too much TV
    last night.
  • My second child has exactly one page of her scrapbook
    filled in.

But here’s the thing: WE are not designed to be perfect.
Let me see your dirty laundry.
Tell me about that cobbler that tasted like actual shoes.
Tell me about the time you messed up as a mom.
And let me know that you are being the best mom you can be, leaning on a community of moms, and asking for help and grace from others and God.

 
God, help me to be the girl you created me to be – living loved. Help me to see others through your lens, not to compare myself to, but to learn to love.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Amen. Good grief. It does seem like every mom blog is a picture of perfection. I have started writing 'take a shower' on a to do list every day just so I feel like I can say I accomplished something other than feeding a baby. :)