Thursday, March 10, 2011

Walking in the Name of the Lord

For all the peoples walk, each in the name of its god,
but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God,
forever & ever.
Micah 4:5

I love flipping through my Bible & reading verses that I have underlined in the past. I've had this Bible for at least 5 years now, & there are a lot of verses that have been significant during that time. I came across this verse above this morning. For me, it is one that I could easily read & agree with it & the truth it holds, then move on. But in the midst of the things I was thinking about this morning, I really read it - I will walk in the name of the Lord my God. This scripture points out that all people walk in the name of a god, whether they know it or not. Some people profess to be Christians, but do not "walk in the name of the Lord."

For our family, in this time, it could be easy to walk in the name of planning - the name of financial security - the name of good intentions - even the name of trying to make God's plan happen. Ah! We could so easily be deceived to think that we're doing what is good & right. But what does it really mean to "walk in the name of the Lord?" Seeking to know Him & to serve His purposes on earth - Matthew 6:33. & verse 34! "Do not be anxious about tomorrow... sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Don't concern myself with the future. As someone who desires to know Jesus & walk with Him, I am called to TRUST His plans for me. & I do not get to approve of them first! But I know that His plans for me are good (Jere. 29:11) & that He will provide for our needs - back to Matt. 6:33 - when I seek Him & His purposes first, "all of [the things that I need] will be added unto [me]." & He doesn't need my help!!

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer & supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts & your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:4-7

"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, & we cannot take anything out of the world."
1 Timothy 6:6

"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists & that He rewards those who seek Him."
Hebrews 11:6

So... walk in faith (I could go into what it means to do that, but I only have so much time!). Trust Him with our needs, our future, our desires. I pray that He gives us the desire for what He has for us, then the patience & faith to wait for His provision. I pray that He gives me the desire & ability to please Him in my actions, thoughts, & intentions, & to walk in obedience to what He has for us, "giving thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thess. 5:18).

I rest in this promise:

"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, & may your whole spirit & soul & body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it."
1 Thess. 5:23-24

2 comments:

Laura said...

Beautiful, Courtney. This is very true for us right now too. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

I also love flipping through my bible and seeing the verses that mean so much to me or meant the world to me at a certain time in life. It is a good reminder of God's faithfulness through His word. It really sustains, gives hope, is living and active. Thank you for this great post.
Sandy