Wednesday, July 15, 2009

the church

Sorry for the lack of posting lately. I think it's because the majority of anything significant going on in my life, anything worth talking about, is all that the Lord has been teaching me or doing in me... & most of the time it is not something I can put into words. He is literally transforming who I am. I find myself reacting to situations differently. More Christ-like. Yes, I am still very much imperfect, still act on emotions or feelings sometimes, but I can see how God is changing me. & I'm amazed.

I just started reading "Christ's Basic Bodies" by Ralph W. Neighbour, Jr. I'm not even done with the first chapter, but I am already loving it. The subtitle is "Embracing God's presence, power, & purposes in true biblical community." Basically, what the church should look like. But not organizationally - which is a point he makes in the first chapter. The church is not an organization. It's not a building, it's not a Sunday morning service, or even programs during the week. It is all believers living in community. Knowing each other in an intimate way, sharing with each other, praying for each other, holding each other accountable, enjoying fellowship together often.

"We must view life from God's perspective. That means rejecting the error that living the Christian life can be a self-centered activity. While Christ personally indwells "called-out ones" (ekklesia) among men, a fundamental act of the Holy Spirit is to sever us from our self-governing spirits & connect us to other members. This forms a body incarnated by Christ."
(Page 24, emphasis mine)

"[A church leader in China] said to his group, 'We have not seen anyone raised from the dead for five months! We must fast & pray!'"
(Page 27)

No comments: