Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Stuff Wrapped in Meat

You know, the way I cook is so not consistent with my personality. I'm so OCD, follow the rules, do things the way they are supposed to be done, but when I cook, all that goes out the window. I see a recipe, get the basic gist, & do my thing. I don't like measuring. I love creating my own spice blends. I can't tell write them down, I just keeping adding whatever it needs until it smells right. I rarely follow a recipe exactly how it's written. Weird. That being said, every time I give you a recipe, I probably did it a little differently, but I know people prefer to see numbers rather than "add pepper till you think there is enough."

The other night I made prosciutto-wrapped asparagus. I had never tried it before, & it was yummy. Here is the recipe I based it off of. Basically, cook your asparagus in boiling water for about 4 minutes, let them cool, then wrap a slice of prosciutto around 3 or 4 asparagus. Top with bread crumbs, put on a greased pan, & roast in the oven, on 400, for about 10 minutes. They are very good, but prosciutto is expensive (I got 8 slices for $3.50) so I definitely won't fix it often.

Last night I made Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps. This recipe is not mine, but I can't remember where I found it.

Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps
1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
1 (1-lb) package sliced bacon
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp chili powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut chicken breasts into strips. Wrap each chicken strip with bacon and secure with a tooth pick. Stir together brown sugar and chili powder; dredge wrapped chicken in mixture. Coat rack and broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

With it I served one of my favorite sides, thin green beans in a honey butter sauce with cracked black pepper. AND, the Pillsbury biscuits that come frozen in a bag... we highly recommend them. They are kind of like KFC biscuits. SO GOOD.

Enjoy!

No comments: